Which vegetables should I feed my baby first?
Why veg-led weaning is a great choice for babies!
There are lots of different approaches you can take when weaning your baby.
Our experts advocate the “Veg-led” approach to weaning. This means that you start your babies first few weeks with only “bitter” tasting vegetables. The reason behind this is that your baby will get used to these flavours early on.
If they don’t get exposed to the savoury and bitter tastes of these green vegetables from early on, they may be less likely to accept them later on. In fact, studies suggest that starting with green vegetables may reduce the likelihood of fussy eating going forward.
Not sure if your baby is ready to start weaning yet? Check out our blog to learn the important signs to look out for in your baby.
Which vegetables should you start with then?
Our experts recommend starting with these seven vegetables for the first week:
- Cauliflower, broccoli, green beans, aubergine, courgette, potato and asparagus.
- These ones are a great choice to start with because there are not too many “windy” vegetables that may cause upset tummies, they’re all easy to find in the supermarket and they’re all chocked-full of those bitter flavours!
- Remember, your baby may not like the taste of these at first, but this isn’t a bad thing! It can take them several attempts to start enjoying the taste of new things.
- Even if it seems like they are not eating much of these veggies at first, they are still learning lots of valuable new skills like picking things up and putting them into their mouth, swallowing whole food for the first time and getting used all the new flavours and textures associated with trying solid food for the first time!
- Remember that babies have an innate taste for sweetness as breast or formula milk is sweet, so it’s actually natural if they don’t like these vegetables to start with.
Why choose V&Me
Wondering where to start – what foods to introduce first, which allergens, what about meat and fish, texture progression?
Everyone has a different and often conflicting opinion, so we delved into all the research, facts and evidence to define what really is the best for your little one. And we created the Ultimate Weaning Kit from V&Me – the perfect 5-week companion for your little one’s weaning journey.
Guilt free alternative to home-cooking with V&Me
Our expert-planned menus and portion sizes take the guesswork out of weaning. Because we’ve done the research for you. The Ultimate Weaning Kit is exclusively planned by paediatric dietitians. Allergens, size, steps, timing, no stone left unturned.
You can bond with your baby over mealtime without worrying about whether you’re doing it right.
Start your weaning journey with V&Me and make your weaning journey easy-peasy.