Get Your Omega-3s with These Delicious and Healthy Trout Cakes
This dish is made with just a few simple ingredients, and it can be on the table in just 20 minutes. Suitable for babies from 6 months onwards and an excellent idea for BLW.
Steam the trout until it’s flaky, then mixed with mashed potato, dill, mayonnaise, and lemon zest. The mixture is then rolled into balls and coated in breadcrumbs. The cakes can be baked in the oven or shallow fried, and they’re delicious served with a mixed leaf salad.
- 50g trout
- 100g mashed potato
- 0.1g lemon zest
- 5g mayonnaise
- 0.1g dill
- 10g breadcrumbs
- 50g mixed leaf salad
- Steam the trout until it begins to flake.
- In a bowl, combine the trout, mashed potato, dill, mayonnaise, and lemon zest.
- Roll the mixture into balls.
- Coat the balls in breadcrumbs.
- Bake the balls in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes, or shallow fry them on both sides over low heat for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve with mixed leaf salad.
- For steaming the trout, heat water in a pot and place a colander on top. Pop the fish in and cover with the lid or cling film or anything that will keep the steam in.
- Alternatively, place the fish in tin foil, add a few tablespoons of water and close tightly to ensure no steam can escape. Pop in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- You can also add other ingredients to the trout cakes, such as chopped onion, carrot, or celery.
- These cakes are also delicious served with a side of rice or quinoa.